Professor Fredrickson has found through various research studies that feeling positive not only makes us feel good, but it helps us to build resilience and strength. This means that we can bounce back quicker from adversity when we have experienced stressful and hard times.
She also found that positive emotions help us open up to relationships, new opportunities and new possibilities.
Even in times of high anxiety, stress or depression, letting ourselves experience a positive emotion can will have some benefit.
So what are her tips for boosting the positive emotions of happiness, love, tranquillity…..?
- Instead of a to-do list of tasks, arrange your day to include feeling positive about something.
- Remember to be grateful for what you have.
- Spend your money on experiences, not things.
- Nurture your relationships
- Spend time in nature
- Encounter new people and places